Product Review: Timex Expedition Scout Chronograph

2/24/17


In 2014, I bought one of my first watches: the Timex Weekender. At the time, I wanted a minimal-looking watch without spending too much money. Along with a pair of NATO bands, I've been able to wear my Weekender nearly every day since I bought it. It looks great paired with just about any outfit and is sturdy enough to wear on a daily basis.



This past month, my wife offered to buy me a new watch for my 31st birthday! It was the perfect opportunity to replace my old Weekender with something new.

A wristwatch is often be described as an extension of the person who wears it. Everything from the look, feel, and function of a watch reflects the personality of its owner. I wanted mine to display and enhance my love for traveling and exploring the outdoors.

Would I be able to find a watch with the versatile style of the Weekender, but offer more utility while out in the field?


The Timex Expedition Scout Chronograph


Eventually, I picked up the Timex Expedition Scout Chronograph. It offered everything I was looking for: a nice balance between simplicity and utility.



Case Dimensions (mm)12 x 42 x 20
Case MaterialBrass
Case ColorMatte Silver-Tone
Weight2.56 oz
Band Width20 mm
Dial Window MaterialMineral Crystal Glass
Dial MarkingsArabic (Partial)
Dial ColorNatural Beige
MovementAnalog Quartz
Water Resistant100 meters
ComplicationsDate Window, Chronograph



Pros





Versatile, classic look.

This watch is a pleasure to look at! The off-white background and bold font provide just enough contrast to read the time without too much eye-strain. The thick, matte casing gives the watch a rugged feel, but doesn't look overly "outdoorsy". It's tame enough to wear to the office, but ready to hit the trail once the workday is over.



Functional chronograph offers added utility and visual interest.

A chronograph is essentially a standard watch with an analog timer built right in. It's a stopwatch sitting on your wrist! The Expedition has three sub-dials to track minutes, seconds, and 1/20 of a second for up to 30 minutes. Although some find the face of a chronograph a bit cluttered, I think it adds some visual interest to the face.


Date window adds a subtle, but useful convenience.

Ever find yourself signing a form or making an appointment, only to realize you don't know what the date is? It's an extremely subtle detail, but the ability to quickly glance at your wrist and get the date can be really convenient!



Ticking is almost completely silent.

Now, this really depends on how sensitive your ears are. However, the internal ticking of Expedition is barely audible, even in a quite room. It's a really nice change compared to the loud drumming coming from the Weekender.







Cons




A bit on the bulkier side.

At 12 mm in height, the Expedition is quite a bit thicker than the Weekender (9 mm). With the larger surface area of the case and chronograph buttons along its edges, the watch definitely feels a lot bigger on my wrist. It isn't exactly a Casio G-Shock, but it'll take some getting used to.



Crown can be a bit stubborn when switching between the positions.

When I first went to set the time and date, I found it a bit hard to pull the crown into the proper position. I didn't want to yank too hard, as I've heard the crowns on Timex watches aren't exactly the most securely fastened. With a little care, I managed to get everything set, but I did feel a bit nervous each time I had to make an adjustment.





Final Thoughts


I'm not a watch aficionado by any means, but I really think the Timex Expedition Scout Chronograph is a very good watch for the money. It's got a smart, casual look, versatile enough for just about any wardrobe. It also feels quite rugged, which is nice for the occasional adventurer.



Additional Photos




Any specific questions? Comments? Corrections? Let me know in the comments!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi! Someone in my Facebook group shared this website with us so I came
to check it out. I'm definitely loving the information. I'm bookmarking and will
be tweeting this to my followers! Superb blog and superb style and design.

Post a Comment