Hiking Trip Report: Franklin Falls

1/24/15

Hike Date: 01-24-2015
Distance (Roundtrip): 2 miles
Elevation Gain: 400 ft
Highest Point: 2600 ft
Franklin Falls Hiking Guide



This morning, I took a look outside and saw a little bit of rain and plenty of dark, gray clouds over head. Most hikers would stay in bed after seeing those conditions, but I got up to do a solo hike out at Denny Creek! I loaded up the Jeep and drove all the way out to exit 47 off of I-90. I arrived at the parking lot around 10am, only about 4 or 5 other cars were in the snowy lot. It was drizzling, but nothing too crazy.

About a mile into the Denny Creek trail, I was forced to turn around. Since I still had plenty of energy, I decided to try my luck on the Franklin Falls trail. It's easier, shorter, and recent trip reports had some stunning photos of the falls. I mean, I drove nearly an hour to get out to Denny Creek, might as well check out this popular hike!

Immediately at the beginning of the hike, I noticed how well-maintained this trail is. There are man-made, wooden stairs every couple of feet and wooden fences that protect hikers from slipping and falling over the steeper edges along the trail. When folks say that Franklin Falls is safe for children, they really mean it!

Conditions on the trail were very slick today. Although they weren't absolutely necessary, micro-spikes would have made a world of difference for me. At the very start, the trail is a bit flooded. Not difficult to walk around, but definitely deep enough to get your feet soaked. There is also a nice spot to go off the trail and take some pictures right on the creek.

The rest of the way, there were some patches of trail here and there, but most of it was ice-covered, compact snow. About .75 miles into the shallow climb, the trees opened up along USFS Road 58. If people didn't want to hike from the official trailhead, I suppose they could park here and walk a short .25 miles to the falls.

The final descent towards the falls was slippery, but manageable. Using the edges of the trail, I was able to get down to a nice view of the powerful waterfall at the bottom. At this time of year, Franklin Falls is loud and proud! Behind the raging falls, smaller waterfalls trickle down the rocks underneath I-90. It's a little surreal to see such a large man-made structure towering high above this beautiful waterfall!

I was up and down the trail in less than an hour. If it weren't for the icy conditions, it would have been much shorter. For anyone looking for a short, child-friendly hike, Franklin Falls is an excellent choice! I'll have to see it during the summertime, when I head back to seek revenge on Denny Creek!

Photos


No comments:

Post a Comment