Beaches, Boardwalks, Burritos pt. 2: Another Cali-Burrito Quest in San Diego

9/24/21



There are few places my wife and I love visiting more than San Diego. Its long, golden beaches and clear, sunny skies make it the perfect vacation destination for these Pacific Northwest natives. And while we love San Diego for its beaches, it's also known for something else I love: California burritos!

In 2018, my wife and I spent a weekend soaking up the sun in Pacific Beach. During this trip, I made an effort eat as many California burritos as possible!

Since then, a lot has changed: we now have a beautiful daughter, I've changed jobs twice, and we've been navigating a global pandemic. However, one thing never changed: my love for California burritos.
 
This year, we took a week-long vacation to San Diego. Unsurprisingly, I went on another quest to eat as many burritos as I could fit. This is a summary of my 2021 California burrito quest!

The Hit List

 
 


Roberto's Taco Shop Bay Park

1525 Morena Blvd, San Diego, CA 92110
 

 

Quick Summary

  • Slightly stale, generous portion of thin-cut fries
  • Tender, lightly salted, thin slices of carne asada
 
We touched down in San Diego around midnight. After a 2-hour flight, I was hungry for any open food joint. A quick Google search led me to Roberto's Taco Shop, which was a quick detour off I-5 on the way to our Airbnb in Pacific Beach.
 

The California burrito here is pretty basic, but it gets the job done. The fries were a bit stale, probably from sitting during the day (it was midnight, after all). Nothing else about the burrito really stands out. 
 
 
In a pinch, I'd visit Roberto's again, but it's not a California burrito I'd seek out.


 

El Rey Moro Taco Shop

 
 
 

Quick Summary

  • Crispy, thick-cut fries with a soft interior
  • Thick slices of well-salted carne asada
  • Lightly toasted, chewy tortilla
 
After a quick workout at Crunch Fitness PB, I ventured further along Garnet Ave to El Rey Moro Taco Shop. It's tucked away in a strip mall right in front of a busy intersection. After a couple of U-turns, I finally managed to get into the parking lot.
 

The California burrito here is just fine. The fries are crispy on the outside, with a nice, soft interior. It has pico de gallo, but other than texture, it doesn't offer much flavor.


 
It's worth trying once, but I probably won't make my way out to get another California burrito from El Rey Moro.



Harry's Taco Club

 

 

Quick Summary

  • Crispy, well-seasoned fries
  • Tender, salty, marinated carne asada
  • Very onion-y pico de gallo
 
Later in the evening, we walked along Ocean-Front Walk towards the pier. On the loop back to our Airbnb, we picked up dinner at Harry's Taco Club. It's better known for tacos, but I decided to try the California burrito.
 
 
The pico de gallo in this burrito has a lot of onion in it. It isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it overtakes the rest of the flavors. The meat and fries, though on the saltier side, helps cut down the sharp flavor of the onions.

If I happen to return to Harry's, I'll get tacos instead. For a much better California burrito, I recommend heading two blocks west to Taco Surf PB.




La Perla Cocina #2

 

Quick Summary

  • Salty, tender carne asada, with a sweet finish
  • Plenty of melted, stringy cheese
  • Cilantro in pico de gallo blends very well the meat
 
In 2018, I visited La Perla Cocina on Emerald St, down near the beach. Although it appears on many top-ten lists, it ended up being one of my least favorite California burritos.
 

This time, I gave the California burrito at La Perla Cocina #2 a try, and it totally redeemed the original! The meat is tender and flavorful, with a unique, sweet finish to it. The cheese is fully melted, leaving a stringy trail with each bite. It's light on the pico de gallo, but the flavor of cilantro complements the flavor of the meat very nicely.


If I'm ever back in town, I'll definitely make my way to La Perla Cocina #2 again. And I'll definitely be getting another California burrito!
 


Colima's Mexican Food

 

 

Quick Summary

  • Crispy fries, with "pillow-y" interior
  • Large slices of carne asada with minimal seasoning
  • Very delicious sour cream and guacamole
 
It wouldn't be a San Diego vacation without a trip to the San Diego Zoo! Just north of the zoo is a busy little shop named Colima's Mexican Food. It has an active drive-thru, so orders are constantly coming in.


The California burrito at Colima's is worth the wait! The fries are perfectly crispy on the outside, but really tender to bite. My wife described them as "pillow-y". Despite minimal seasoning, the flavor of the beef itself is very good.
 

 
In addition to a great California burrito, we also loved the rolled tacos! It's no wonder why Colima's is so busy, and we'll be sure to eat here again!

Quick Summary

  • Small cut, almost shredded carne asada
  • Skinny-cut fries, a bit on the dry side
 
Even on vacation, I get the occasional late-night craving. Despite having already eaten two burritos earlier in the day, I drove out to Linda Vista to a popular spot named California Burritos.
 
 
The California burrito has unique, thin-sliced, carne asada. It has an almost shredded texture. The rest of the burrito is pretty good, but nothing else about it really stands out. Overall, it's a well-balanced, straight-forward burrito.
 


It may not be anything to rave about, but the California burrito at California Burritos can satisfy any late-night craving. If I'm back in Linda Vista, I wouldn't mind dropping by again!



The Taco Stand

Quick Summary

  • Huge serving of tender, well-marinated, high-quality carne asada
  • Crispy, melted cheese along the inside of the tortilla
  • Flaky, yet strong and chewy, well-toasted tortilla
 
In 2018, after exploring the La Jolla Tide Pools, my wife and I tried grabbing lunch at The Taco Stand. Unfortunately, the line was out the door and around the block! Unwilling to wait, we went to Don Carlos Taco Shop instead (a worthy alternative).
 

Well, three whole years later, I finally got my chance to eat the California burrito at The Taco Stand. And it's one of the best California burritos I've ever had!
 

It comes with a generous heap of extremely tender beef. I'm convinced it's well-marbled, rib-eye steak! On the inside of the perfectly-toasted tortilla is a crispy layer of melted cheese, which is something I had never seen in a California burrito before.
 

Looking back to 2018, it makes perfect sense why the line at The Taco Stand was around the block. And the next time I'm in San Diego, I'll definitely make the drive out to La Jolla to get this burrito again!

Quick Summary

  • Nicely seared, thin slices of carne asada
  • Thin-cut, very lightly-seasoned fries
  • Sour cream and cheese adds a very rich, creamy taste
 
Just a quick drive from Pacific Beach, I made a post-dinner run to Ortiz's Taco Shop. It's a popular spot right next to Point Loma Highschool.
 

The burrito is very simple: fries, meat, sour cream, and cheese. It reminds me of a Lolita's burrito, but a bit better. The sour cream and cheese provides a rich and creamy texture, which complements the crunchiness of the thin-cut beef and fries.
 

The California burrito at Ortiz's is an example of simplicity paired with great execution. The result is a delicious burrito, one I gladly eat again!



La Playa Taco Shop

Quick Summary

  • Thin, but strong tortilla
  • Well-marinated, salty carne asada
  • Crispy, very thick, crinkle-cut fries
 
On the final night of our trip, we drove down to Mission Beach for one last California burrito. Right along Mission Boulevard, there's a small place named La Playa Taco Shop. I've driven by many times, but never bothered to stop in. It felt like a good time to finally give it a try!


The California burrito at La Playa has a relatively thin, toasted tortilla. It's packed tightly with well-seasoned meat, a generous serving of guacamole, and really thick, crinkle-cut fries. Despite being filled to the brim, the tortilla held everything together without breaking!


If I ever find myself in Mission Beach craving a California burrito, I'd be glad to grab one at La Playa!


Conclusion

 
There are many, many options for great California burritos all over San Diego, it's almost impossible to try them all in a week! The great thing is, no matter you are, there's likely to be a great burrito nearby.

 
I can't wait to head back to San Diego and try more!

No comments:

Post a Comment